Tuesday, May 26, 2009

My Backpacking Trek

At the end of summer and into the fall of 2009 I will be backpacking across Europe. I will be departing from Philadelphia on August 26th and arriving in Dublin. I will then travel across eight countries and take in the air. I will experience life the way it should be experienced, first hand.



The Trip starts off in Dublin, from there I'm taking the ferry to Holyhead. I'm estimating to be in Dublin for about three days. I hope to see all I can and drink real Irish Beer and whiskey.

From There I will travel throughout Great Britain and into Scotland. I want to see whatever sights I can. The major cities I plan to visit are Liverpool, Manchester, London, Cambridge, Bath, and Canterbury. There is so much history throughout Great Britain and I want to soak in what I can. I want to drink good English Beer in a real pub. I want to eat real fish and chips and walk across Abbey Road like the Beetles. I want to experience everything I've always wanted. I want to look back 50 years from now and smile thinking about what I have done.

I will then depart south either via chunnel or ferry to France. I hope to take a tour of a champagne vineyard. I will spend two days in the city of Paris. There are so many sites I want to see; The Eiffel Tower of course and the gravesite of Jim Morrison, a personal hero of mine.

From Paris I will travel Southeast into Italy where I will meet up with my mother and take her on a tour of Italy similar to that of my choir trip. The Italy section of my trip will take about a week. I hope to reconnect with my tour guide Adrien here and get a beer with him.

From Italy I will head north into Germany, the land of my ancestors. I will be arriving in time for Oktoberfest, which was the basis of my trip. I will hopefully meet up with my friends from Krefeld so I can see how real German life is. I plan on staying in Germany the longest out of any country. I will travel throughout Munich, Krefeld, Berlin, Hamburg, Frankfurt, and Cologne. I plan on being in Germany for a little more than three weeks, but that is subject to change.




From Germany I'm heading to Bruges, a castle town in Belgium, for about 3 days. The town just looks like something out of a story book, which is just amazing for me.

I will then make the final stop of my trip in the great city of Amsterdam. Where I will remain for about a week. After that I will fly out of Amsterdamn and arrive back in Philly.



I was supposed to be joined by TylerDean on this endevour, but he will no longer be able to join me.

So if that sounds exciting to you...let me know and I'll work with you to come along.

I've spent less than 1000$ on plane tickets and I plan on bringing close to 2000$ with me.

1 comment:

  1. Christian! FINALLY. Someone else with a blog.
    You write well, your posts are mad interesting. Really. I've read a few of them. They're great!

    ReplyDelete