Tuesday, May 26, 2009

My Senior Year

I've always imagined I'd be "the man" in high school. I guess I've always been very ambitious, and I've always had high expectations for myself. I know that I'm arrogant, and I've grown to accept it because I still always give credit where credit is due.

This year started off for the worse. After three days of high school I went into the hospital for two weeks due to my collapsed lung. That was by far the scariest moment of my life. I sat in my bed and watched my brothers, mom, dad, cousins, and friends feel sorry for me; they were unable to help me in anyway other than be there for me.

Because of my being in the hospital, I was unable to audition for my senior year play. I still managed to secure the lead role though, thanks to my amazing director. I have done shows for her in the past, and she knew I would be able to pull the role off better than most. I worked harder than I've ever worked before, and I stood on that stage not as Christian, but as Grandpa. Saturday night, after the show, I sat back stage for a few minutes and a tear rolled down my face. I loved the play, I loved the people, but most of all I loved the feeling of accomplishment I got when I took my final bow.

I was in the dark room ninth period the week before homecoming when they announced the court. I jumped up and down screaming when they called my name. I wanted to be a part of that in the worst way, and was happy to get on. It was a lot of fun, though I would have liked to have been crowned king, I was happy just being on the court. The dance was amazing, and I got to hang out with some cool people afterwards.

About a week after the play was over we began musical auditions. Beauty and the Beast is by far my favorite Disney show, and the Beast is my favorite musical character. It seemed only right that I receive this role. I worked twice as hard as I did for Grandpa. I had to learn four songs, including my solo piece If I Can't Love her and the Reprise, two of the most beautiful and meaningful songs ever written. Our show suffered from a lack of direction and the seniors took it upon ourselves to salvage the show, along with the help from my favorite choir director Mrs. Benn.

The show received three standing ovations and had the largest turnout of any musical performed at Boone. Saturday Night, after I sang If I Can't Love Her Mrs. Benn ran back stage to find me. I've never seen Mrs. Benn so happy in my life, and she embraced me like I was her own son. "You nailed it," she said to me. I took my final bow that Sunday afterward sat back stage with Mr. Hevalow after it was over; we talked about how much fun it's been and how much he'll miss all of us now. Really, I'm the one missing him.

After the musical rapped up I went straight into Mr. Boone rehearsals. That was an experience I will never forget. I’ve been on stage plenty of times, but never have I had as much as I did with those men. I’ve never thought myself a dancer until that show, and up until this year I would have never gone on stage and sang in front of a crowd that large before. It was amazing, and I was happy to be a part of it.

Midway through Mr. Boone I went with the chorus through Italy. That was by far the most amazing experience of my life. I had so much fun with my friends and loved every minute of the trip. If I could go back and do it again with the same group, I would go in a heartbeat. I miss the sites, the food, and the experience of being there. I have added Italy to my already planned backpacking trip this fall because of the fun I had there. I can’t wait to return and see more.

I was also privileged enough to be on the prom court this year. I was also happy to be part of such a great event. I didn’t care that I wasn’t crowned king, I was just happy to be a part of the court and leave yet another mark my senior year.

Last night was my final chorus concert. It’s pretty much the reason I’m writing this. I didn’t win any special awards, and I wasn’t really acknowledged by the audience like some, but after the concert I went into Mrs. Benn’s office with Kyle Ross and she said something to me I will never forget. “Christian Kriebel, I just cannot believe it. Did you see him in beauty and the Beast? Can you believe that this is the same kid who couldn’t hit a regular G his freshman year? He has come so far in these past four years, farther than I ever imagined. I am so proud of everything he has accomplished.” That was probably the nicest thing anyone has said about me.

It didn’t hit me until last night, but I really only have three weeks of school left. I’m graduating, moving on, leaving. I can’t believe this year went by so fast. I went from hating Nick Reck, to loving him like a brother. I’ve gained new underclassmen friends and gotten closer with a few too. I’ve managed to keep my big head down as much as I could, but I know I still had my arrogant moments. I had an amazing year, and with my ambition I know I can keep the trend going. I’m going to make it out there, some way.

No comments:

Post a Comment